Cooking classes have become so popular of late and the hotel industry is making the most of the trend.
Culinary holidays are no longer desired by bored retirees but by many as a way of total immersion into a nation’s culture, whilst also giving attaining a lasting souvenir of skills that will just keep on giving.
Now let’s face it, for most us, what people call a culinary holiday is really just a holiday. So why not make the most of your next one and learn some skills from some of the best chefs in the world (instead of just eating from them).
The world’s leading hotel price comparison search engine, HotelsCombined.com has released a list of the world’s best cooking classes from sushi rolling to pasta making.
Yury Glikin, Director of Business Development at HotelsCombined.com, commented, “We are seeing a growing number of hotels offer cooking classes to cater for this ever increasing travel genre. Learning to cook is a wonderful way to gain insight into local traditions, as few things give you a better insight into a culture like its food.”
1. French Cuisine – For a Julia Child-like experience, try your hand at cooking the French classics at the Escoffier Cooking School in the Hotel Ritz Paris. Acquire all the disciplines of French cuisine, from pastry-making to appreciation of wine. Bilingual French/English assistants are on hand to provide simultaneous translation.
2. Thai Cuisine – For nearly two decades, the Oriental Thai Cooking School in the Mandarin Oriental Bangkok Hotel has taught secrets of preparing Thai feasts of the highest standards, as well as giving insights into the fascinating culture and traditions of Thailand.
3. Vietnamese Cuisine – Your gastronomic tour at the Caravelle Hotel Ho Chi Minh City’sRestaurant Nineteen begins with a ride in a Vietnamese cyclo to the Ben Than Market, where you will hand pick your own ingredients then return to the kitchen to immerse yourself in the Viet style of cooking and all the gorgeous spices and smells that come with it.
4. Italian Cuisine – Discover all the culinary secrets of one of the world’s most respected cuisines and cook like a true Italian nona at the Four Seasons Hotel Milan. Here you are thrown right into the deep end in an absolute immersion of Italian culture, as you prepare and cook a complete exquisite menu. Don’t worry if your Italian is not up to scratch, private cooking classes can also be arranged in English.
5. Khmer Cuisine – Distinctly Cambodian, Restaurant Le Grand in the Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor Siem Reap teaches the steep traditions of Khmer cuisine. Executive chefs will be with you each step of the way – from picking out produce at the Siem Reap morning markets to tasting your own culinary creation.
6. Indian Cuisine – Be inspired by the masters in creating authentic flavors of Rajasthan at the Oberoi Udaivilas Hotel Udaipur. Learn the art of making specialty breads, Indian meat and vegetable dishes, and gain an understanding of the medicinal applications of the spices used in Indian cuisine.
7. Japanese Cuisine – Learn how to recreate that balance and harmony in flavour, colours and textures that makes Japanese food so pure and simple. Perfect your hand at preparing tantalising tempura and two styles of sushi (nigiri and maki) at The Peninsula Hotel Tokyo.
8. Moroccan Cuisine – Working with one of three dadas (traditional Moroccan women cooks) and the Head Chef at Dar Les Cigognes Hotel Marrakech you will gain insight into Moroccan ingredients and techniques in preparing traditional dishes. Guests can also join the Head Chef on his daily rounds of the markets to buy the day’s fresh foods in some of the most colourful markets in Marrakech.
9. Syrian Cuisine – On the quest to serve up the impeccable mezze? Damascus Hostel has got you covered. You’ll be given a list of ingredients so you can engage with locals at the markets or if you are less adventurous, they can buy everything for you. This is followed by a cookery demonstration in the hotel kitchen, where everyone plays an active role. Just make sure you come with a big appetite!
10. Turkish Cuisine – Sarnic Hotel Istanbul showcases what makes their city special through authentic Turkish cuisine. During your hands-on session, you will prepare a five-course meal of traditional dishes culminating in the tasting on the restaurant rooftop.
11. Greek Cuisine – Create delicious Greek dishes with a Santorinian twist at Atlantis Beach Villa Hotel Santorini. Make koufeto, meletinia and other local recipes, while soaking in the coastal beauty on this jewel of the Cyclades islands.
12. Spanish Cuisine – Want to impress your friends with your new found spectrum of knowledge of Spanish cuisine? Join the passionate team at V Hotel Vejer De La Frontera in eating, drinking and learning your way through the fruits of the sea, long summer lunches and the exciting nightlife of tapas.